Follow our simple steps to help to keep your feet in tip top shape and reduce your risk of developing any problems.
1. Wash your feet everyday Use warm, soapy water and take care to dry them well, especially between your toes – this will help to prevent fungal infections, such as Athlete’s foot.
2. Do regular calf stretches. Get into a routine of doing these every day to keep your feet supple.
3. Pay attention to your socks Wear well-fitting socks and change them every day to avoid sweaty feet.
4. Trim your toenails Use proper nail clippers – and cut them straight across, not too short and not down at the corners, as this can lead to ingrowing toenails.
5. Keep them moisturised. If the skin on your feet is dry, put moisturiser on your feet before you go to bed, avoiding between the toes (this can lead to fungal infections).
6. Wear the right footwear it’s important to make sure your shoes are the right size for your feet. Buy footwear in the afternoon when your feet are at their largest. Get your feet measured if you are unsure of your size.
7. Rotate your shoes Try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row, to reduce your chances of developing a fungal infection.
8. Vary your heel height Keep high heels for special occasions, as regular use can damage your feet.
9. Check your feet regularly Giving your feet the once over every week will help you to spot any possible problems quickly.
10 If you have any concerns aches or pains then you should see a podiatrist